Dare to Be King
Dare to Be King is one of our most effective programs for engaging young men from 6th-8th grades by providing conflict resolution skills, youth leadership development, as well as equipping youth with the developmental tools to make good decisions in a world with many negative influences. YMEN’s Dare To Be King program is in three schools (Dvorak Elementary, Mason Elementary, and Chicago Westside Christian School) working with sixth, seventh and eighth grade youth. YMEN also offers “Dare to Be Queen” for young women led by Sharona Drake, the Director of PEARL.
Dare to Be King and Dare to Be Queen will provide wrap-around academic support, as well as, social/emotional support for over 90 students each week!
The curriculum is designed by the Urban Leadership Institute in Baltimore, Maryland. The 40-session program includes units in:
- Understanding the masculine role in broader society
- How peer pressure influences one’s decisions
- Defining one’s values
- Violence in the home, in the hood, and in the world
- Weapons and their detrimental role in conflict management
- Influence of the “gangster lifestyle” on today’s youth
- Dealing with difficult emotions
- Understanding street law and its misconceptions
- The role of rap music within the culture
- Coping with grief and loss
The program is led by Michael Trout, YMEN’s Executive Director, a graduate of Wheaton College who has been working in the area of youth leadership development in North Lawndale for more than 20 years.
For more information about the curriculum, visit the Dare to Be King website.
- YMEN Raises over $100K at Charity Auction!
- On Friday, November 8th , the network of friends and investors came together to raise critical resources for YMENs programs and our college scholarship fund. We are thrilled to report that we exceeded our $80K goal by raising more than $100K to invest in the next generation of leaders in North Lawndale! The great news […] Read More
- YMEN Buys a CRACK HOUSE!
- On September 19, 2013 the Young Men’s Educational Network purchased a foreclosed property adjacent to their college and career campus. This two-story building was used throughout 2012 for the sales and distribution of drugs on the 2200 block of Springfield. YMEN intends to turn this former CRACK house into a college residential dormitory that will […] Read More
- NEW SCHOOL PARTNERSHIP IN LAWNDALE!
- On September 4, 2013 YMEN’s Executive Director, Michael Trout, and PEARL’s Director, Sharona Drake, met with the new principal at Dvorak Elementary School and a new partnership was born! YMEN will be working in partnership with the United Way of Metropolitan Chicago to increase attendance and graduation rates for students in North Lawndale. The CORE […] Read More