Dare to Be King
Dare to Be King is one of our most effective programs for engaging young men from 6th-8th grades by providing conflict resolution skills, youth leadership development, as well as equipping youth with the developmental tools to make good decisions in a world with many negative influences. YMEN’s Dare To Be King program is in three schools (Dvorak Elementary, Mason Elementary, and Chicago Westside Christian School) working with sixth, seventh and eighth grade youth. YMEN also offers “Dare to Be Queen” for young women led by Sharona Drake, the Director of PEARL.
Dare to Be King and Dare to Be Queen will provide wrap-around academic support, as well as, social/emotional support for over 90 students each week!
The curriculum is designed by the Urban Leadership Institute in Baltimore, Maryland. The 40-session program includes units in:
- Understanding the masculine role in broader society
- How peer pressure influences one’s decisions
- Defining one’s values
- Violence in the home, in the hood, and in the world
- Weapons and their detrimental role in conflict management
- Influence of the “gangster lifestyle” on today’s youth
- Dealing with difficult emotions
- Understanding street law and its misconceptions
- The role of rap music within the culture
- Coping with grief and loss
The program is led by Michael Trout, YMEN’s Executive Director, a graduate of Wheaton College who has been working in the area of youth leadership development in North Lawndale for more than 20 years.
For more information about the curriculum, visit the Dare to Be King website.
- YMEN’s Silent Auction Raises $5,000 for PEARL
- On November 6, 2015, YMEN had its 20th Annual Auction and Celebration to raise money for college scholarships and our students here. This year the silent auction raised $5,000 for PEARL students. Funds from the auction will go towards our PEARLs, the females of YMEN, in the following ways College Scholarships Summer Trips College Internships […] Read More
- Guess who’s going to AFRICA!!!!!!
- On March 31, 2015 – YMEN will be making a trip to Uganda Africa to help support the work of Partners in Mission and the Kamwenge Secondary and Vocational School. YMEN is excited to go and report on the progress as well as participate in helping the underserved in one of the poorest and most […] Read More
- An Aria Group Tale…”A New Look for the YMEN Multi-Purpose Room”
- Share this: A New Look for the YMEN Multi-Purpose Room YMEN (Young Men’s Educational Network) was started in 1996 by Michael Trout as an educational and mentoring resource for boys and young men of the Lawndale neighborhood in Chicago. Some of the original kids who went through the program are now grown up and […] Read More