Our mission is to prepare young men in the North Lawndale community for mature, responsible leadership, love for learning, and outstanding service to the larger community through a comprehensive college preparatory program, entrepreneurial training, a long-term mentoring network, and community service learning.
YMEN strongly believes that developing life-long relationships with our students will offset the negative external pressures they face in school and on the streets.
This relationship includes:
- Mentoring from positive community role models,
- Encouraging guidance and support from YMEN staff,
- Tracking grades and working with school counselors,
- Communicating frequently with the child’s parents,
- Visiting colleges and universities nationwide, and
- Tutoring in all academic subjects.
Our vision is to bring revitalization to the lives and environment of youth in North Lawndale so that:
- Have excellent attendance in school and in after-school programs;
- Graduate from high school and college;
- Participate in levels of leadership within the community;
- Have the ability to make a postive contribution in a diverse world; and
- Actively participate in the educational process of their children.
At the Young Men’s Educational Network we believe, above all else, that every student has the ability to use their gifts and talents to make a positive contribution to the broader community. It is our organization’s challenge to provide an environment where each young person can grow in their personal development and utilize their strenghts in a leadership capacity. In order to accomplish this vision, YMEN will:
- Foster relationships built on respect;
- Provide opportunities for contined personal growth;
- Achieve excellence in both programs and participation;
- Work for reconciliation between races, gender, and class;
- Value every person’s contribution; and
- Seek continual improvements through innovation.
Finally, YMEN seeks to honor our donors and investors by using all resources efficiently and effectively to support and promote the mission of our organization. We will think strategically, work proactively, and function innovatively to provide the highest quality services possible. YMEN will act with integrity, serve our clients faithfully, encourage collaboration where possible, and dumbit to appropriate accountability to ensure that all donors receive the intended charitable value of their donations.
- YMEN Africa Trip, Spring 2013
- “This is the greatest trip of my life…..” Four YMEN High School senior leaders spent 13 days this Spring traveling to Uganda to work with Partners in Mission. During this trip, we had the opportunity to spend time at the Kamwenge Secondary and Vocational School (KSVS) where YMEN has roofed buildings, sponsored students, and brought [...] Read More
- Building lifelong networks of support
- Sammie has been in the YMEN program for 4 years. He is one of the program’s most dedicated participants. YMEN has offered Sammie many opportunities through business and education programs. Sammie has been on about 90% of the YMEN trips and his favorite was South Dakota. The trips have been beneficial for Sammie because he [...] Read More
- The Gimp
- Our students have had a chance to learn about image manipulation. Seeing as how we are always in the mood to save money, we use the GNU Image Manipulation Program — otherwise known as the Gimp. For those who aren’t completely up on the Gimp, it’s a free version of Adobe Photoshop-like software. Not Photoshop, [...] Read More